Cylinder locks are the most common type of door locks sold today.
Cylinder locks (locks that can be opened with a key) can be bought almost anywhere: Online, big box stores, mom and pop shops and even in grocery stores. Consequently, they can be found in the majority of homes from rural to city. Even though they are the most common type of door lock, they do have their pros and their cons.
What are the positives of cylinder locks?
- Easy to install either by the homeowner, handyman, or locksmith.
- Budget friendly. The price range varies widely with options to fit any budget.
- Stylish. Cylinder locks come in a vast assortment of colors, styles, and finishes.
- Convenience. Cylinder locks can be quickly rekeyed if necessary and multiple locks can be keyed to all be opened by one key. We can help with rekeying.
- Security. They can be purchased in heavy duty options for better home protection.
What are the downsides to cylinder locks?
- You need to have a key to unlock it. That sounds easy until your key gets damaged, broken, lost, or stolen. It’s best to leave a spare with a trusted neighbor or hidden somewhere close by where you can get it in case of an emergency.
- Unlocking may be hard in the dark. Since unlocking depends on fitting the key into the slot, unlocking in the dark may be a challenge.
- Cylinder locks can be “picked.” It does take specific skills and tools to pick a lock but there are people out there with those skills and tools that ARE NOT hard working, dependable locksmiths.
- Maintenance. Cylinder locks need to be cleaned every 6 to 12 months depending on where the lock is located, to keep them operating correctly. This is a straightforward process the homomer can do very easily.
- Access can be hard to control. If your keys are misplaced, stolen or you just let them out of your eyesight, it only takes a minute to copy a key. Also, if you loan out a key to someone, you may forget to ask for it back or they may put it in a position to be copied.
Good locks are an essential part of home security. Make sure the locks you have are excellent quality, working properly and can provide the level of convenience and protection you need.